#FeatureFriday – Ong Ai Leng, living it up stylishly everyday!
What’s up, Churpers! How’s everyone doing on a Friday? For us, it’s our most favourite day of the week for obvious reasons hehe we can’t wait to relax a little more over the weekends. No stranger to the entertainment industry, today we’ll be featuring Artiste and Entrepreneur, Ong Ai Leng, who’s currently living the life in Canada.
Let’s get right to it!
It’s summer in Canada now! I stay in Toronto, definitely not very difficult to adapt. I would say summer here is beautiful and lively; extremely blue cloudless skies and green grass. Hate to say this, but the moon here appears bigger than back home LOL. (It’s a Chinese saying by the way!)
My life in Canada
What do I miss most about Singapore? Definitely the food, though I managed to cook my own curry laksa and chicken rice in Canada.
I cook everyday in Canada, here’re some of my creations!
One more thing that I miss most about Singapore is the convenience of commuting from one place to another, and that I could do everything at one area. For example, Orchard Road! From hair treatments to facial, mani-pedicures to high tea with friends, watching movies to shopping and to attending my Pilates class! But in Canada, it’s just too big, there’re long drives in between two points.
2. Any upcoming business or acting projects that you’re excited to share about?
After Project W (a Singapore production), I’m giving myself a break (without a deadline). My friends said I have retired haha. Maybe I am just temporarily retired until there is another good script or interesting business opportunity but I am still running my event company in Singapore. As long as I have my phone, I can work anywhere.
3. You’re blessed with really good skin and as a celebrity, we know it’s important to look good! Care to share with us some beauty tips? 😀
Let me try to list down all my daily regimes:
- I will never wear make up to sleep, regardless of how late I arrive home or how tired I am. I shower, wash my hair and clean my face – 100% clean before I head to bed so there’re no bacteria or germs or dust on my pillow and bed!
- Every morning, I wash my face with water only, no need for the use of cleanser as my face would be very clean the night before after all my skin care steps (toner, any kind of serum, moisturiser, eyecare). Sometimes if I am really very tired, I’ll skip the skincare steps and simply apply a sleeping mask and wash it off with water the next morning before applying some skincare. This can help acne combination skin too.
- Always apply sunblock. Never leave home without it
- I don’t go for facial often, maybe once in 2-3 months but I put on facial masks at home at least twice a week. If I am filming, I will put on a mask everyday.
- Drink lots of water of course, though plenty of exercising does make a positive difference to my skin as well. I run everyday now, and my skin is firmer and better.
4. We also love your style! It seems like you can pull off anything! How did your love for fashion come about and what’s your style inspiration?
I don’t know what’s my style. Lol. That’s why I named and created a hashtag for myself #oalstyle. Cos my style is like my life, constantly changing, adventurous and eager to try new things. I was not like this in my twenties. Guess back then I dressed to impress and now I dress to have fun!
I travel a lot and I love to observe how people style themselves. With the help of magazines and Instagram, they gave me so many ideas! I used to buy full sets of designer wear, but that will only increase your chance of wearing the same as others. So now, I loooovveeee mixing and matching. Break the look, personalize the look, make it my own style. For example, I remember there was a year at Star Awards, I got a long tail black and white elegant evening gown, I broke the look with a biker leather jacket and my chrome hearts bracelets and rings.
During my first trip to London 9 years ago, London Fashion Week was going on and I was so inspired. On the streets, there are so many stylish people. Some might have looked a bit overwhelming, but! I came to a conclusion that any style or anything you put on, as long as you are confident and comfortable, that will be your own fashion style. And I appreciate that. Cos to me it has become an art.
5. What are some of your more memorable shows you were part of?
The first thing that came to my mind would be the first movie that I starred in my life. The movie was 2046, acted alongside Zhang Ziyi and Tony Leung. It was a very small role but I had such a great experience. And I love the costume and styling, I was wearing a 1940s cheongsam.
“Addicted to Love” – the Malaysia and Singapore drama filmed 8 years ago, it was like “Sex and the City” and I was the Carrie Bradshaw. I wore my own clothes, shoes and bags on set and the director of the show is now my husband :p
Lastly, Project W, cos it’s the most recent one and I really had lots of fun with the rest of the casts. We are the W family; Pierre Png, Sheila Sim, Desmond Ng, Charles Lee, Michelle Wong and Priscilla Chan. My character, Ashley, was very stylish too. Yup, that’s how much I love fashion!
6. After a long day of filming, what do you look forward to the most? What keeps your passion alive?
After a long day of filming, I only look forward to my bed and bathtub. I love pampering myself. And what keeps my passion alive is people, people that I enjoy working with, be it in entertainment or business. I love to meet people and being able to influence each other, support each other with positive energy and love. Without this, work will just be work… boring. I need to have love and have fun.
7. Congrats for being happily married for years! What are some tips for staying together despite both of you having busy schedules?
- Don’t forget to say “sorry” and “thank you”
- Don’t take marriage for granted
- Keep having fun with each other. Don’t take everything too seriously except for one thing, the vow – the commitment in your marriage. For the rest of your time together, just enjoy each other’s company.
8. Share with us one of your biggest ups and downs in your life and your greatest takeaway so far.
Wow, my whole life of 37 years has been filled with ups and downs. I can’t tell you which one is my biggest but I had many precious experiences, which I thank God for, even for all my down moments too. That’s how my life became so interesting. I was the best academic student in college, graduated from an Australian University, for some reason I joined Miss Malaysia World, became a model, then actress, and then businesswoman. To conclude, my biggest down moment would be during my insecure days when I was between the ages of 25 and 28, chasing after security which I could never find because it was not in my work as an actress (haha definitely no), it was not in my looks, it was not in my relationship (by the way, never try to find your sense of security from a man), and it was not in my bank account too!
Then I found God, I went for a mission trip. It was the biggest turning point of my life. Instead of exhausting myself by creating the “security” in life which didn’t exist, I learned to embrace life. Life that is constantly changing, unpredictable and full of the unknowns. Flowed with it and gave my best everyday, making each day count.
9. Growing up, what were you like as a kid?
Spoilt princess? Lol. I was the first child in the family and always had what I wanted. Good in studies, sports, singing, dancing, drawing…etc. Super kiasu by nature, my parents never needed to pressure me in anything. As you can tell, I didn’t have many friends when I was a kid.
10. You’re constantly travelling and exploring places, are there anything else on your bucket list?
There are too many things I wanna do. The world is so big and I wish I can travel around the world!!! Some of the more notable places would be Israel, Jerusalem and Alaska (for the ice breaking cruise, watching the Norther Lights & Ice fishing!)
Wow Ai Leng, we wish we could be in Canada, you make us wanna live fearlessly too! We hope you guys are feeling a little inspired, when life isn’t looking too good, always believe in yourself! (:
That’s all the time we have today, go forth and enjoy the weekends!